Off-roading in your favorite 4X4 vehicle is fun and adventurous. But imagine getting stuck in muddy and slippery surfaces. Sometimes, the wheel power of the vehicle alone may not be enough to get you out of these challenging situations.
Here’s where a trailer hitch mounted winch comes into play. A winch can be a life savior in times of need. It provides extra pulling force and can also be used to tow ATVs/other vehicles. It can also be used to anchor stationary objects.
But before buying a hitch mounted winch, some research has to be done as there are various types of winch according to their specifications. You have to decide which winch will be the best. Selecting the right may sometimes get confusing.
Our top picked Best Hitch Mounted Winch Reviews and Comparison Chart
ZEAK 13000 LB
Champion Power 100427 12,000-lb
Smittybilt GEN 2 XRC Winch
ORCISH 12V 13000-lb Electric Winch
1. ZEAK 13000 LB
The ZEAK 13000 LB is a powerful and efficient winch featuring a 3-stage planetary steel gear that provides stronger pulling power of 6HP/4.5KW series electric motor.
This one is built in skid shield and also comes with a unique design control pack, a Circuit breaker and a wireless remote. This makes the winch operation very easy here. No matter how muddy the road you meet, it will be your best partner. It fits for jeep Wrangler, SUV, or something with a higher base like pickup trucks.
All metal IP68 Waterproof construction and corrosion-resistant finish with weather-sealed solenoid make it perform well in extreme weather conditions or driving a bunch of water crossings. And it comes with a 1-year limited warranty. This hitch mounted winch also comes with multiple mounting holes to make your winch operation smooth.
- The receiver fits well in this accessory.
- It is built in skid shield.
- It has a 3-stage planetary steel gear system.
- Here, the load capacity is 13000lb.
- Waterproof construction (IP68).
- Value for money.
- Synthetic rope/cable & hawse fairlead.
- Multiple mounting holes.
- One year finish warranty.
- Hitch pin is integrated within the product
- It is a bit loud.
2. Champion Power Equipment 100427 12,000-lb
This device can be one of your favorite towing accessories among unique lines of hitch mounted winches. Champion Power Equipment’s 100427 12,000-lb is built to last when it comes to winching.
These towing accessories are designed for quick and easy mounting, transit and storage. Our Speed Mount 2-inch hitch adaptor makes this winch a breeze to install.
It has a rated line pull of 12,000 pounds. Series wound, it features a 6.0HP (12V DC) motor. The durable black powder coat here is very functional, which makes the device ding resistant.
The firm handhold can be adjusted in three positions and act as side guards to keep your receiver hitch mounted winches safe. Line speed is 2.3 feet per minute with a full load and 15.7 feet per minute with no load, thanks to a gear reduction ratio of 216:1.
Using high-tech polyethylene, synthetic rope is extremely flexible and lightweight, preventing kinking and fraying. Thanks to its stainless steel thimble and protective sleeve, the 85-foot by 11/32-inch synthetic winch rope have a minimum break strength of 15,000 pounds.
The hand-held quick-connect remote control with the efficient three-stage planetary gear, braking system and free spooling clutch provides superb control during winching. Neoprene fabric protects it from the elements. Champion 100427 12,000 lb.-ft.
- These towing accessories of the receiver hitch mount have got a unique line of production.
- It has got an adjustable design
- 13000lb. Pulling capacity.
- Two years warranty.
- It can be easily attached to the cables. The cables do not recoil or fray.
- Durable black powder coat.
- A good budget alternative to warn for extra protection.
- Handheld quick-connect remote control.
- No wireless remote.
- A bit slower line speed than other expensive brands.
3. Smittybilt GEN 2 XRC Winch
XRC Gen2 from Smittybilt has received a significant overhaul, which has resulted in better towing possibilities, performance and durability. This device comes with a solid mounting place, giving you extra protection.
In addition to the conventional 9 to 500-pound capacity, an IP65 waterproof 500 AMP solenoid, a three-stage planetary gear, and an extra 6.6 horsepower motor are incorporated.
The users of this device can avail easier transportation in a high and low country like Africa. You can have very good towing possibilities by using this device. Gen2 XRC is warranted for life mechanically and five years electrically, with a limited guarantee.
With the rock damage resistance, you can easily take your car for off road trail with this hitch. Due to its easy gripping features, it has a firm handhold.
- Lifetime Mechanical and a 5-Year Electrical warranty.
- 9,500 lbs. pulling capacity.
- Good budget product.
- Got a firm handhold.
- IP76 waterproof with solid mounting place.
- It is rock damage resistant.
- No wireless support.
- No winch covers.
4. ORCISH 12V 13000-lb Electric Winch
In most cases, this powerful hitch mounted winch can help you get back anything, even your truck or jeep. It can be controlled from afar or by hand, giving you easier transportation. To help you heal, you need a wireless remote that is easy to use and works well within a 50-foot range.
This machine has an automatic brake mechanism that holds the load in place while you use it for your safety. As a bonus, this winch constructed hitch has a three-stage planetary gear system that helps make the winching process go as smoothly as it can. It has an excellent way of managing the load and getting power in and out.
It has a waterproof design and a sealed engine that makes it resistant to rain and dampness in all kinds of weather. All of their products come with a one-year limited warranty and free technical help for life.
- One year limited warranty.
- 13000 lbs. pulling capacity.
- Waterproof construction.
- Reasonable price for pulling capacity.
- Good construction.
- The hitch is winch constructed.
- The battery of the remote control could be last longer
When To Use:
The ORCISH 13000 lbs Electric Winch is perfect for lifting, pulling, and dragging during marine applications such as-
- Rigging heavy items onto boats or barges
- Lifting up essentials on a yacht
- Lifting heavy items out of the water
In addition, this product is also great for use in industrial applications such as
- Moving heavy equipment
- Lifting heavy objects during construction jobs, etc.
5. Superwinch 3,000lbs 1130220 LT3000 winch
There isn’t a better hitch mounted winch on the market today than the Superwinch LT3000, which comes with the help of a well-known company. Circuit breakers in the LT3000 protect the permanent magnet motor, which draws very little electricity and is safe.
This is a great snow shovel for an ATV. Motor: A permanent magnet low-amp draw motor and an ergonomic clutch help the 3,000-pound pull rating stay strong. A 4-way roller fairlead and wire cable/rope 50 feet long are two other features.
There is also an in-line wired handheld remote and a 12-foot wired handheld remote. The price of the item comes with a second, two-year warranty.
- Compact, quiet, and durable.
- 3,000 lbs. pulling capacity.
- 50 feet long cable.
- Two years limited warranty.
- A wire may be prone to rust.
Superwinch 3,000lbs 1130220 LT3000 winch is highly recommended to anyone who wants to purchase a sturdy, reliable winch. This is the best choice if you need a winch that can be used for all seasons and weather conditions! It’s not only great quality, but it has everything you could possibly want in a winch. The Superwinch LT3000 isn’t only durable, but it’s also reliable and easy to use!
6. CURT 31010 Trailer Hitch Winch Mount
CURT front mount accessories are a great choice if you want to get the most out of your vehicle and give you an advantage on off road trails. As the first step in making your car the ultimate towing machine, a CURT front mount trailer hitch gives you a lot of different ways to tow that you might not have thought of before. Moreover, the CURT winches handle provides extraordinary terms of usage and comfort.
This winch mount will give you a stable place to put your winch, and most winches can be used with it. When you’re tearing up an off-road trail, it protects your winch from rocks and other debris. To make it easier to remove your winch from your car, the CURT winch mount can hold the CURT winch mount handles.
In addition, the firm handhold gives you a good grip when you’re working with your CURT front mount accessories. With three mounting holes, the CURT winch mount can fit any 2″ x 2″ receiver tube, making it adjustable.
- The CURT winch mount comes with several custom models.
- It can operate heavy-duty towing, making your car an ultimate towing machine.
- Comfortable CURT winch mount handles.
- Receiver fits smoothly.
- The CURT winch mount has adjustable channel mounts with three mounting holes.
- The winch’s single-line pull capacity of CURT winch mount is limited.
7. WARN 92000
To fit in a small space within the rear and front side, this device is high strength steel protected and has been designed to be lightweight and compact. This hitch mounted winch mount is designed to help you move more material in a shorter period. For portability, it is powered by a 12-volt permanent magnet DC motor with an amazing duty cycle of 1.6 horsepower.
It’s a great deal for trailers or hitch mounts to employ this fantastic item with many features. 35 feet of 3/16″ wire rope/cable with a hook and clasp, corded remote, and hawse fairlead.
Check Warn winch maintenance tips here.
- Compact to fit in rear and front side and durable.
- It can be mounted in tight spots.
- The building is high strength steel protected.
- A bit expensive compared to others.
Things to Remember Before Buying a Hitch Mounted Winch
Make sure to think about how much your cargo weighs, as well as what kind of hitch mounted winch you need when you buy a new one. To show how important these three things are, look at the following factors.
- It makes steering more difficult, reduces performance, causes you to lose traction, and makes stopping much harder if the tow vehicle’s front axle is underweight (especially when you have the heavy load of the trailer behind you).
This is why it is so important to learn about the weight of the hitch before you can securely drive. There are hitch balls that can weigh anywhere from 2,000 pounds to 30,000 pounds.
Check if you have the right tool and twist it to the correct size. To make our test hitch work, we had to twist the 1-13/16 nut with 250 ft-lbs of torque. Also, we had to buy a new torque wrench because ours could only go up to 100 feet lb.
- Make sure that the coupler has the right-sized ball for your tow truck. Mount trailer hitch balls come in three sizes: 1-7/8 inch, 2 inches, and 2-5/16 inch.
- Finally, ensure that the mount trailer hitch ball has the right shank, and then you’ll be done. When it comes to the size of the shanks, the classes I, II, II, IV, and V are used a lot. A shackle with a diameter of 1-1/4 inches must be used with the hitch that distributes the weight of the load.
- Trailer hitch receivers must also be considered if you plan to use them. Class weights must also be thought of. They can hold up to 2,000 pounds of weight at once. Generally, trailer hitch receivers in the Class II category can hold 3,500 pounds.
Receivers from Class III or IV can hold more than 5,000 and 10,000 pounds. You need flanges to tighten them up, which are sold separately.
- Make sure the trailer hitch mounted winch mount and receiver tube on your towing vehicle can handle the weight and volume of what you’re going to be pulling. In the owner’s manual, you can determine how much weight your car can hold.
Tiny tow vehicles should not be used to move more than 2,000 pounds of things at once. Cargo space for mid-sized and crossover SUVs should not be more than 3,500 pounds.
You are the only one who can ensure that your hitch mounted winch mount and receiver hook up correctly. While towing a trailer, ensure that all the electrical connections are correct. This will make sure that the brake and signal lights work as they should. It is also important here that the winches handles provide comfort to its users while gripping.
You may also need a power adapter for your towing car’s other electrical systems. For mechanical connections to work correctly, they must be safely put in place.
When you put a hitch mounted winch on a trailer, it doesn’t take long to get it done. There are detailed explanations of how to do things. Before you start putting together your winch, make sure you are safe.
Make sure the wire rope is in good shape before using your winch. Don’t get too close to the wires or ropes when your winch is used. When you use a winch, be careful not to hurt yourself. The added edge here transmits the power from one point to another,
Requirement of wiring
Sometimes, if you want to tow a trailer or a camper, you’ll need wiring for a hitch. All your trailer’s brake lights, running lights, and turn signals are wired into the trailer’s wiring. A wire is needed for this. So, buy the one where wiring is feasible.
How to mount a winch on the trailer?
- The trailer’s center should be marked so you don’t forget where it is.
- Before drilling, make sure that the bolt and hole markings on the wall match where the winch will go on the wall.
- Connecting a winch to a winch mount is a significant first step. Because each winch is different in this way, it’s essential to read the manual that came with your specific model before trying to do this.
You can put a winch on your flatbed trailer by following these steps:
Flatbed trailers with many features can be used for big projects. When moving many things, use a Flatbed to reduce the number of trips you have to make back and forth between the pickup and drop-off places. Flatbed trailers can also handle a lot of weight, which is why they are so helpful.
There are two main ways to put a winch on a Flatbed trailer-
- To start, use the handrail. A receiver hitch mount can be put on railings to hook up a winch. The winch can then be easily attached to it when this mount is done. This is the best place to get to the winch.
2. A receiver hitch mounted winch mount can also be attached to the bed of the truck. A mounting plate for a winch and U bolts can also be used to make this happen.
Here’s a complete guideline on how to mount a winch on different types of trailers.
Trailer Hitch Mounted Winch FAQs
Why Do We Need a Hitch Mounted Winch?
A trailer hitch mounted winch is a great safety feature that allows you to pull yourself out of tight spots. It can be beneficial when you are stuck in the mud, snow, or sand.
Why do you need a mounting plate for my winch?
You will indeed need to install a winch plate before you can install a winch. This is because the steel bumper does not include one. To install the plate and the hitch mounted winch mount, you’ll need to remove the bumper from the vehicle. And The mounting plate also gives the hitch enough power to start off.
Can you mount a winch to a trailer hitch?
Yes, it is possible. Using a receiver hitch mounted winch mount, you can quickly and easily install a winch on your existing receiver tube. The rugged carbon steel adjustable design allows your truck to tow winches with capacities ranging from 6000 lbs. to 9000 lbs. thanks to its versatility.
How large a winch Do I need to pull a car onto a trailer?
Most car hauler and tilt trailers can be hauled with a 9.5k winch, and gooseneck, pintle, and large tilt trailers can be hauled with a 12k/17.5k winch.
How do you make a winch portable?
The steps are as follows:
- Discover an appropriate location to install a vehicle-side quick disconnect at the end of the extended power wire and the short ground wire.
- The winch can be powered by connecting the quick disconnect on the trailer side to the fast disconnect on the vehicle side using the quick disconnect connectors.
We have laid before you a detailed review of the top 7 trailer hitch mounted winch mounts as per our research and customer preferences. Based on price, usability, and requirements, you can choose and purchase your one but trust us; these are the best ones from millions of products.
In my opinion, the one from Orcish will be a good buy. It is because the product comes with useful features and a good warranty within an average price range. Moreover, it has got good construction and is easy to use.
- Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch Review
- Shocker Hitch Reviews: (Our Best 3 Picks)
- 5 Best Hitch Mounted Mud Flaps for the off-road Adventure
- Adjustable Drop Hitches For Lifted Trucks Review
- 5 Best Hitch for Boat a Trailer
- Best Truck Bed Hitch Extenders for Kayak
- A Guide to Spool a Winch Cable
- Different ways to Winch Backwards
- How To Use A Hand Winch?
- Wire a winch with a toggle switch
We are a team of 8 Hitch specialists based in Poland. Every day we fix different hitches for our clients. So we thought why not create an informational blog for the hitch users from all over the world.
So besides running our Hitch store here in Poland, we also write the hitch accessories tips and guidelines on this website. Read more about our Hitch store and services here.